Wednesday, April 19, 2023

First Homes

| index |

We laughed to remember our dorm or first apartment,
  the kitchen, pinched, the bath with three doors,
  the underground windows, the tilted floors,
the gulf between our pitiful pasts and present.

But I heard wistfulness and wonderment,
  why Solomon made his splendid temple
  hark back to the tabernacle,
when God felt near as fire in a nomad's tent.

Image by Susan Rouse.

| index |

My friends in Education for Ministry (EfM) gave me this idea with their stories and the insight about the tabernacle. See our class blog.

In the 12 waking hours since I posted this yesterday, I've revised the last five lines at least 25 ways. The pace accelerated when I read some criticism of careless meter in an essay by Dana Gioia. Once again, I find that cutting awkward phrases made room for new ones that said more of what I'd wanted to say. - WSS

No comments: