Monday, March 13, 2023

At a Beach in Quebec / Sur la Plage en Quebec

| index |

Written July 1986

28 years minus my language
over 2000 miles from home
plus cultural variables
reduced to lowest common terms
leaves me maybe five or six.

It's back to school again
with older boys, 13 and 10
who know
the way, what's up, what's next,
and (most of all)
what's so funny --
who take time out to educate
a tag-along of 28:

"Look! See? Crab!"
-Ah, oui, ah, oui.
"Look! Is cage for lobster, see?"
-Ah, oui, ah, oui.
Aside, I watch them work and hope
the boys will let me pull the rope.
When my size can help, then I'm allowed.
When they say, "Is good, thank you" I'm proud.

Unsteady on the rocks I see
they're far ahead. They turn and call to me --
and I run!

IMAGE: A virtual selfie at Tête d'Indien on the Gaspé Peninsula, Quebec.
See my article
Tour De Quebec about the visit.

| index |

I found this poem in the journal I kept during a summer in Quebec, along with this French translation edited by the two boys mentioned in the poem. They were neighbors to my host Dan Rose.

Sur la Plage en Quebec
Ecrivé Juillet 1986, edité par Gérald et Claude O'Connor.

Mes 28 ans moins ma langue
divisé de mon pays 3500 km
plus variables culturelles
reduît à la plus simple expression --
je n'ai de reste que 5 or 6.

A l'école encore avec deux garçons,
plus vieux de moi, d'ages 13 et 10 ans
qui savent toujours
comment, qui se passe, ensuite,
et (surtout)
pourquoi est-ce qu'on rit --
ils se donnent de la peine on enseignant
moi, inutile, adulte-comme-enfant:

"Look! See? Crab!"
-Ah, oui, ah, oui.
"Look! Is cage for lobster, see?"
-Ah, oui, ah, oui.
Je régarde leurs travaux, de côté,
en espérant que je les peux aider.
Enfin, ils me laissent mettre la trappe par-dessous.
Je suis fier quand ils me disent, "Is good, thank you."

Instable, sûr les roches, je les vois
au loin. Ils se tournent, et appellent moi --
que je cours!


| index |

No comments: